Thursday, August 13, 2026

Backyard Birding



In addition to keeping a Life List, I keep a list of bird species I see in my backyard. As of today, there are 42 species on my list.

Some of the birds I count are those I see flying overhead. These are usually the larger ones, such as Sandhill Cranes, a Bald Eagle, Double-crested Cormorants. Flocks of American White Pelicans frequent my airspace in springtime. One afternoon a Red-tailed Hawk perched on my next door neighbor’s roof, so I counted him.


I’m surprised by some of the birds that have actually landed in my yard. A Great Horned Owl scared the breath out of me one night. I was letting the dog in at the backdoor and suddenly heard and felt a rush of air just a few feet overhead. The owl flew over the roof, and I quickly ran to the front door to see if he was still nearby. Sure enough, he was, perched on a lamp post, a mere shadow in the darkness.


Cooper’s Hawks often perch on my backyard fence. We dubbed one frequent visitor Bradley. Our bird feeders provide a banquet of delicacies for these opportunistic carnivores. One day, Bradley was so bold as to perch on top of the feeder.

Lively passerines delight me the most. Chickadees, Juncos, Bushtits, Goldfinches, an occasional House Wren. I’ve been surprised by Cedar Waxwings and love hearing the call of Spotted Towhees. A Say’s Phoebe was a daily visitor for a week last fall.

The noisiest visitors are the Blue Jays, crows, and woodpeckers. Northern Flickers are common, as are Downy Woodpeckers. The most unexpected visitor was a Lazuli Bunting who paused for a few minutes on the wire above the yard two summers ago.

I keep my feeders stocked with seed and suet to entice visitors. A heated bird bath for the winter, and year-round solar fountains further encourage avian callers. Two nest boxes provide House Sparrows and Black-capped Chickadees a place to raise their families.

What I spend on bird food and maintenance is more than made up for the delight of witnessing nature right in my own backyard.


Text and photos by Karen Clark